Friday, February 27, 2015

A Powerful Reaction

"Wow, I can't believe it."

"I hate her!"

"I LOVE her."

These are the types of reactions I want my readers to have.  I want them to read and reread a passage because they can't believe it!  I want them to pause to let it all sink in.  I want the readers to feel satisfaction at the finale.  And to feel better than they did before they started reading my book.  I want my readers to feel SOMETHING.

I'm a volunteer reading tutor at my children's elementary school.  It's a small way for me to connect with my teacher-self.  It's the highlight of my day when a student stops reading and says, "I wonder why..."  or has another type of connection with what they are reading.  One of my reading buddies loves to think aloud as she reads.  The other burns through text without hesitation.  Two very different readers.  How do I, as an author, connect with both of them?

That is the question I always have in the back of my mind.  I hope to do that through heartfelt humor, and beautifully drawn and complex but relatable characters.  And of course with a story that hooks the reader from the start to the finish.  All of this with the final goal in mind of giving the reader that POWERFUL REACTION.  Goosebumps.  Tears.  Belly laughs.  Anger.  Relief. 

Those are the types of reactions I want my readers to have.  So, I'd better get to work!

Happy writing,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment