Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Yesterday I Told a Lie

Yesterday I told a lie.  It was a whopper.  The thing about the lie was I tried to convince myself it was the truth.  "No.  No.  No." The inner editor nagged me.  "Shut up!  I'm working here!" I nagged back.  But the lie was there.  And it was about to get bigger.  Because the thing about telling a lie (or showing, even) is that you have to continue to lie to cover it up.  Then it's all a lie, and I just want to throw it in the garbage, which is really where it belongs.  What was the lie?  Does it matter?  You'll never know (Ha!  Take that!) because I'm going to go back and untell it today.  First, I have to figure out where the lie began, then go back and do the difficult thing, the thing that makes writers sip coffee in their pajamas until dinnertime... I have to tell the truth.  It's frightening, humbling.  I had a goal, you see... write 1000 words a day.  At any cost.  But that's what a hack does.  I'm not a hack.  So, no more word, page, chapter goals!  Because I will get there... but not to The End necessarily... to The Truth.     

No comments:

Post a Comment